Did you know that whatever is in your crawl space doesn’t exactly stay there? While your crawl space seems shut off from the rest of your house, it’s actually connected in some major ways. If you have mold, mildew, or bacteria in your crawl space, it can eventually get out of that area and infiltrate the rest of your home. It can end up in the air you breathe, which can cause problems with asthma and allergies and can even make you and your family sick.
If you have problems with the wood in your crawl space, that can cause major issues, too. Termites, wood rot, and other things can get into your home through your crawl space and cause major structural issues if not taken care of quickly.
At Environmental Solutions and Service (ESS) we have Certified Indoor Environmental Consultants who can come to your home and perform tests to see if you have anything dangerous lurking in your crawl space. If you do, they will help you design a solution specific to your home and your needs. All of our solutions are based on the principles of building science, so you can rest assured that your home will be safe once more.
Crawl Space Inspections
The first step towards having a healthy crawl space it to have the current one inspected. ESS is happy to perform a free crawl space evaluation. These are overseen by Certified Indoor Environmental Consultants who will look for evidence of moisture damage, mold, mildew, and more in your crawl space.
Once we know what is in your crawl space, we’ll be able to design a solution specific to your home, based on the principles of building science. We’ll come up with a plan, let you know what it is, and get it implemented as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Crawl Space Moisture Control
When you live in the low country, moisture can be a huge problem for your home. It can be especially bad in the crawl space, where it can build up for many years without anyone knowing about it. You may notice the following signs and symptoms, which indicate a need for moisture control:
- Damage to floors, especially hardwood, above the crawl space.
- Unexplained allergy or other symptoms, which continue regardless of season or pollen.
- A musty, mildewy smell that doesn’t seem to be coming from anywhere.
- Insulation falling down for no reason inside your crawl space.
Once we know where the moisture is coming from, we can help you come up with a solution that will keep it outside of the rest of your home. This can help you live better and feel better, and can preserve the value of your home, too.
Crawl Space Encapsulation
If it works for your home, we can seal off or encapsulate your crawl space. This means that we will make it so that moisture and other things in the crawl space cannot get into your home. It basically creates a barrier that they cannot cross. This has several benefits, including:
- Increased energy efficiency. You won’t lose as much hot or cold air via your crawl space, so you won’t have to spend as much to heat and cool your home.
- Structural longevity. Because water can’t infiltrate your home, you don’t have to worry about it damaging the wood that makes up your house’s structure.
- Fewer pests. When you don’t have as must moisture in your home, pests like snakes, mice, and others won’t be drawn inside as easily. It’s always better when you don’t have to deal with these beasties.
- Better floors. When you keep moisture out of your home, your floors will be more likely to last longer and look better.
- Added value. A home with an encapsulated crawl space might sell for more than others, because potential buyers will know that it has been taken care of. Inspectors also love to see closed off crawl spaces.
If you’re ready to make sure that whatever is in your crawl space can’t make it into the rest of your home, give us a call today. Our experts are ready and waiting to help you make your home into the castle you’ve always wanted to have. Start that process by ensuring that all of the rest of the work that you do will be safe from moisture and mold damage by figuring out what to do with your crawl space first.
No matter what needs to be done to solve your crawl space issues, we have the know-how and expertise to get it done!